Pages

Friday, December 21, 2012

Featured Friend Friday: Rachel Shipman



There are two reasons today is your lucky day. One, the world didn't end. And two, you get to meet Rachel.

Rachel is.... Hmm. I'm having a hard time finishing that sentence because Rachel is a plethora of really great things and none of the sentences I am coming up with just seem good enough. She is hands down, one of my very most favorite people in the entire land.

There are few people I laugh as much with. Regardless of the day I am having or the mood I am in, a few simple back and forth text messages with this girl and I am giggling. I love how easy laughing is with her and how laughing is inevitable in her presence. One of my favorite memories with Rachel is the time that we were trying to get down a helium balloon that was stuck up in her ceiling. We pulled a stool into the living room so that I could stand on it. After standing on it, I still could not reach, so we grabbed a spatula from the kitchen. I was able to reach the balloon with the spatula, but couldn't get it to come down. So the natural response was for Rachel to chew some gum, stick it on the end of spatula, and then when I hit the spatula with the balloon, the balloon would stick to it and come down. And throughout all of this, on my head, I was wearing a monkey hat and fake plastic toy glasses. And yet, we were serious. Needless to say, our plan didn't work- but eventually, we did get the balloon down. And now, when I think back on that moment, I can't not laugh. It's one of my favorite memories because it encompasses the reality that even the smallest of things are fun when they are done with Rachel. With her, the little things don't seem little.

Rachel is one of the most gracious people I have ever met in my entire life. When I am troubleshooting a bad day and Rachel is on the listening side of the story, and I am saying things that are wrong or aren't true and she knows it, she lets me speak first. She lets me explain how I am feeling and why I am feeling that way and before she speaks truth into my life, she validates how I am feeling and acknowledges that she can see how I am feeling that way. Most often, from the first word I say, I am talking crazy, but my crazy is met with such grace. It's humbling how gracious she is.

Rachel may not know this, but she operates in all things at a standard of excellence that most strive to reach, but never do. She is an exceptional mother, raising two of the sweetest little girls I have ever had the privilege to know and love. Gosh, do I love them. She is raising champions and I love watching their little lives unfold. The legacy that she is leaving is simply beautiful. She is also an incredibly talented photographer. I'm not much of a cryer (I'm wondering how many people just rolled their eyes and said "yeah right?"), but Rachel has this this uncanny ability to capture emotion in pictures so stinkin well, that very often, when I look at her work, I tear up. I highly suggest you hop on over to her website http://www.rachelannphotography.com and check out her work. You will not be disappointed.

I am so thankful that Rachel's path crossed mine for so many reasons. I feel incredibly blessed. The other day, a friend and I were talking when Rachel called. I answered the call and my other friend could hear the conversation that Rachel and I were having. Probably because she was on speaker phone. But when I hung up the phone, a conversation about just how great a friend Rachel is to me was sparked. And my eyes might have watered because I was overwhelmed with just how lovely of a friend I have. Because I do. I really, really do.

I love you, Rachel. I am so thankful to call you friend. My life has been made better because of you being a part of it. Thank you for being you, for all of the laughs, and handshakes, and fictional character talk. For all of the listening and prayers and hugs. For showing me Jesus all of the time. You, my friend, are one of my most favorite thoughts. "Thank you for being a friend..."

No comments:

Post a Comment