Pages

Friday, December 28, 2012

Featured Friend Friday: Becca Johnson


Meet Becca. My Buddy.

About 6ish years ago, I say 6ish because I'm not sure if it was 5, 6, or 7 years ago, I walked into church late (how times have changed) and my ears were graced with the voice of a new worship leader. At least, new to me. And while Becca's voice in it of itself is captivating, I was immediately taken by how authentic her worship was. I was relatively new in my faith, but I saw Jesus in her and knew without even yet knowing her that she was someone special.

Now, 6ish years later, I can boldly proclaim how right I was and how thankful I am that somehow since that day we've gotten to the point where I now call her friend. Well, I call her buddy. But those are synonyms, right?

Throughout the years, everything that I initially believed about Becca has proven to be true over and over again. There are few people I know who speak with such a combination of truth and grace or with as much careful consideration of the words that they say. There are few people I know who will challenge my own words or actions and will hold me to a standard that does not compromise my beliefs. When I find myself in a bit of a mess, she's the kind of person I'd want to meet in a parking lot. I mean, she's the kind of person I'd want in my corner.

Bob Goff, in his book Love Does, mentions that "psychologists are now theorizing about the separation of the brain and the mind. The brain is the stuff in your skull. But the mind, they say, works a lot like the Internet, a map of information collected from all our experiences and interactions with other people. In other words, we become connected together and are influenced more than we think." If that's true, then I am pretty thankful that for the last 6ish years, I have been connected with such a quality person. And I would argue that not only has Becca influenced me more than I probably think, but she has definitely influenced me more than she could possibly know. So much more.

I can not fail to mention the fact that Becca is also an incredible mom to a sweet baby girl who melts my heart every time she calls me buddy. Even though a majority of the time, she is afraid of me or playing coy, I always leave interactions with her with a smile on my face. That must be one of those "like mother, like daughter" things.

Buddy, I am so thankful for you and for the influence you have had on my life. Thank you for your prayers, listening ears, words of wisdom, and hello and goodbye hugs (but not for 20 seconds- that's weird). Thank you for knowing my crazy and keeping me anyway, for my favorite half and hours, and for holding up 3's on weekends (even though that has nothing to do with me). 6ish years ago, I was drawn to how Jesus shown through you. And now, 6ish years later, I still am. I'm proud to call you friend and hope you know just how much you are loved. Because you really stinkin are. You can probably see it in my eyes. It's been a lovely 6ish years and I'm keeping you for many, many years to come. Hope you're okAY with that.

K, Bye. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment