Pages

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Sunshine When You're Feeling Cloudy

One thing to know about me is I have a borderline unhealthy obsession with music. In fact, I've put myself on an Itunes ban for the next couple months unless I am willing to get another job to support my addiction. The ban started on Monday and I already have a list of over 20 songs/artists to check out. Withdrawal symptoms have begun. Okay, not really, but almost.

This may make me a dork, and if not, don't worry there are a lot of other things that do, but I have three different types of playlists I listen to: "Love Letters to Jesus", "Party in Your Heart" and "Sunshine when You're Feeling Cloudy". And because I've been called a bragger, I'm going to capitalize on this moment and say that I listen to exceptionally good music. You can debate me on it, but I will probably cry, so it's better not to.

Anyways, the playlist-style that has been on repeat for the last couple of weeks has been..you guessed it..sunshine when you're feeling cloudy (hence the title of this blog post). Now, I would say that the songs on this playlist are not what I would call "sunshiney" songs or songs that are happy-go-lucky. I think they are songs that acknowledge that cloudy days happen, songs that speak to the cloudiest of moments, songs that recognize that storms come, but in the midst of those things, songs that remind me that Jesus is with me even in the darkest moments. And that my friends is sunshine.

They are songs that remind me that the more hopeless a situation looks, the more opportunity there is for the King of Glory to have His glory. For me, that is the definition of hope. The fact that the more hopeless I am, the more helpless I am, the more in need I am also means that there is more opportunity for God to show up in the way that only He can leaves me speechless. Sometimes I am terrible at remembering this reality when I am feeling cloudy. Actually, I am almost always terrible at remembering this in those moments. I guess it's not so much a remembering problem, it's more of a recalling problem. I haven't forgotten that God is constant or that He is faithful and trustworthy. I haven't forgotten that He is with me and He has gone before me. I just fail to recall it because I'm too busy looking at the clouds.

But when I turn on these songs that acknowledge that there is a God who is fighting off every wave or remind me that He is already all I need, I start to see the light trying to sneak through the clouds. It might be one ray of light and I might have to squint to see it, but holy moly, you better believe that the most beautiful sun-filled sky you've ever seen is connected to that one ray of light and it's coming. It is coming!! (and this is when I then turn to the Party in the Heart Playlist because my heart cannot contain that kind of expectation)

"Yes I can see the light that is coming for the heart that holds on. There will be an end to these troubles, but until that day comes, still I will praise You. Still I will praise You."

No comments:

Post a Comment