Pages

Monday, November 26, 2012

Show and Tell

I feel strongly called to speak life and encouragement into the lives of those around me. I understand the power of words and how they can transform lives, but I think that words without actions are the easy way out. It's harder to show someone you love them than to say it. Showing involves pursuing.

Lately, I have been obsessed with the notion that I am called to pursue others. According to my dictionary app, one definition of the word pursue is "to attend to." I love that definition because the definition of the word attend is "to be present." So to pursue others, essentially means to be present for them.

For me, pursuing doesn't have to be this grandiose gesture. In fact, little things often stand out more in my mind than the big things. But, pursuing does require you to pour yourself out for the benefit of others. And because it's costing us something, we naturally want to get something back. And when we don't, we become defensive. We decide we're done. And we stop pursuing. We stop being present.

They never want to hang out.
Their phone always goes to voicemail.
They never ask me how I am doing.
They only ever reach out to me when they need something.
Where's my thank you?

And so on and so on and so on. We get tired of being present for people more than they are present for us. And sometimes, you should. Friendships shouldn't be one-sided. Either should dollar bills. That means they're fake. No one should be used or valued only when they are of convenience to others. But a lot of the time, we're just not operating in the grace that is so often extended to us.

I don't know about you, but I am certainly glad that Jesus doesn't stop pursuing me all of the times I fail to pursue Him. All of the times I fail to be present with Him. All of the times my effort in our relationship pales in comparison to His, which is and will forever be, always.

I think that in pursuing others, we somehow lose sight that it's not always about us.
It's not always about MY time, MY efforts, or how I'M pouring into others. Pursuing shouldn't be about me and about what I'm not getting out of it. Pursuing is always about the other person. Pursuing requires action.

So Stop. Stop giving up on people. Stop being done with people. Stop being lazy with people. Stop saying words you never intend on acting on and start acting on words that you've said. Start extending grace. Start speaking words of affirmation and life. Start being present. Start pursuing. Starting loving the way God loves us.

"Our God is not patiently standing by and waiting for us to offer love. He is actively and vigorously pursuing us...He is the father running down the trail to embrace the prodigal son even before the boy can speak his act of contrition. He is the mad farmer showering a full day's wage o men who hadn't even worked. He is Jesus forgiving the sinful woman even before she spoke her sorrow. He is the king lavishing a banquet on beggars....God is not the sort to casually murmur, "Well, sure I love you." He constantly shows how much"- Andrew Greeley.

To pursue others or to be present for is to show how much. I challenge you to operate in the simple elementary school principle: show and tell.



No comments:

Post a Comment