Pages

Wednesday, December 2, 2009

We Speak for Nations..

Too often I take what I have for granted. This is not a new thought, but rather a reoccurring realization. I'd like to say I woke up this morning thankful for the bed that I slept on or the roof over my head, but those thoughts didn't cross my mind. I am thankful for both, but I expect them both and consequently take both for granted. It frustrates me that I regard such things as expectations. What makes me so special that I expect a bed while millions of others go to sleep at night in the streets? Too often I take what I have for granted. What drives me the craziest about that statement is the fact that I know it. I look around the room right now and it blows me away how blessed I am. Today, I am acknowledging that I take things for granted and I am thankful for what I have been given, but what about tomorrow? I said that this was a reoccurring realization. I did not, however, specify how often that realization reoccurs, probably because I'm embarrassed to admit how little I realize it. I am too consumed with what I don't have to realize what I do. Does it really matter the size of my bed or the quality of my mattress, when the fact of the matter is, I have one?

Unfortunately, I don't just take materalistic things for granted. I neglect to appreciate my faith and the freedom I have to express it. I receive a magizine in the mail called the Voice of the Martyrs. The magizine talks about the millions of Christians who are persecuted for their faith. It's not name-calling persecution these people are faced with, it's life or death. People in these nations are beaten, thrown into jail, and have their homes raided simply for owning a Bible. I read the stories and am amazed by their testimonies. I think if I were in their shoes, I would fear being a Chrisitan, but all they mention is their hope and determination to share the love of Christ. It boggles my mind and frustrates me to no end to know that I take that freedom for granted. People are dying over a freedom that I don't take time to consider.

About a month ago, I recieved a flyer in the mail that said who will you pray for today? On the back it had 14 days of prayer. Each day there was something to pray about for those in persecuted nations. I decided today to stop taking that freedom for granted and to thank my God for that freedom and pray for those who don't have it. I believe that Jesus is the only hope for every nation and I believe He hears His peoples prayers.

I don't know if anyone is reading this, but if you are I really hope that you join me in these prayers. I've decided to do 14 weeks of prayer instead of 14 days because I want to learn more about each Nation and really commit sometime to praying for their needs. I want to stop taking things for granted.

Week 1 prayer: Ruth is a widow whose husband was killed in a religious riot in Nigeria. Pray for Nigerian widows.

No comments:

Post a Comment