Pages

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

The Valley of Baca

Because I have the dictionary.com app, I know that the definition of a valley is “an elongated depression between uplands, hills, or mountains” or “a low point or interval in any process, representation, or situation” or any of the other 6  definitions that my app gives, which I’ll summarize for you in saying, valleys are low places. I don’t know about you, but if it were up to me, I’d like to avoid any and all elongated depressions, but the reality is valleys are inevitable.
In Psalm 84, the Psalmist talks about a valley. Psalm 84 is about a group of people who are on a journey to Jerusalem to the tabernacle which held the Ark of the Covenant and the “manifest presence of God”. It was a place of worship and joy, but to get there, one had to pass through the Valley of Baca, or the Valley of Weeping. The Psalmist writes: Blessed (happy, fortunate, to be envied) is the man whose strength is in You, in whose heart are the highways to Zion. Passing through the Valley of Weeping (Baca), they make it a place of springs; the early rain also fills [the pools] with blessings. They go from strength to strength [increasing in victorious power]; each of them appears before God in Zion.”- Psalm 84: 5-7 AMP
Okay, so it doesn’t take much to make me giddy, but those verses are jam packed with way more than much and holy moly, giddiness ensues. As previously mentioned, valleys are low places usually laced with negative connotations. (Sidenote: It’s taking everything in me not to break out in the first verse of the song You Never Let Go.) When I’m walking through a valley, I feel at my weakest. I feel tired, defeated, and in no way do I want to exert the effort that it’s going to take to climb up out of the valley. But lucky for me, the Bible says that at my weakest, God is strong. “but He said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong. (2 Corinthians 12:8-10). And Psalm 84 says that “blessed is the man who strength is in You”.
I’m no mathematician, but I think 2 Corinthians 12:8-10 + Psalm 84:5 = I’m blessed.
And if that wasn’t enough, the Psalmist isn’t finished yet, continuing with “Passing through the Valley of Weeping, they make it a place of springs; the early rain also fills the pools with blessing…” If you read that too fast, you might have just missed one of my favorite parts of the whole passage. PASSING THROUGH. ( Sidenote: I am now refraining from singing the bridge of You Never Let Go and simultaneously wanting to break out the chorus of “You make Oceans from the Rain”.) Valleys are for passing through. They may seem forever long and the temptation to give up might constantly be knocking at your door, but God promises that “….the nights of crying your eyes out, give way to days of laughter” (Psalm 30:5) and that there is a light that is coming for the heart that holds on (okay, so the bridge snuck out there a little bit).
But to stop there would be missing a very important part of how we are to pass through the valley, the verse continues with “they make it a place of springs”. Another translation says “make it a well”. How does one make a well? They dig. Digging is hard work and takes effort, but so does walking victoriously through a valley. I once heard someone say “it’s about praising when you dig and digging while you praise.” And well, doesn’t that quote just fit so appropriately right there? Seriously though, I think there’s more to this whole “make it a well” thing. Once you make the well, it’s kind of like a reminder of God’s goodness. Psalm 119:29-32 MSG says “barricade the road that goes nowhere; grace me with your clear revelation. I choose the true road to Somewhere, I post your road signs at every curve and corner. I grasp and cling to whatever you tell me; God, don’t let me down! I’ll run the course you lay out for me if You just show me how.”
When you’re walking through the valley, it sucks, but the wells you make in the valley are going to be the road signs that keep you on the right path. It is my assertion that the times I find myself the most lost in a valley are the times where I have forgotten to dig the wells, so when I look back for a reminder of the path I’m on or when I’m parched and looking for a drink, I find other things to satisfy my thirst, which leads me down the path to nowhere because unless it’s God filling the pools, I’m going to become thirsty again. (Sidenote: You know I just sang the line “Jesus, You’re the Cup that won’t run dry” from “Your presence is heaven to me”). Isaiah 41:17-18 MSG reads “The poor and needy search for water, but there is none. Their tongues are parched with thirst, but I, the Lord, will answer them. I, the God of Israel, will not forsake them. I will make rivers flow on barren heights, and springs within the valleys. I will turn the desert into pools of water and the parched grounds into springs.” If we make the wells, He will fill them. I can dig that. Pun intended.
And still, there’s more. Verse 7 of Psalm 84 says “They go from strength to strength [increasing in victorious power]; each of them appears before God in Zion.” Not only will God continue to fill the wells dug in the valley, breathing hope into the lowest places, but we will go from strength to strength until we get to our destination. The people the Psalm is written about had a final destination in mind. They wanted to get to Zion, and after walking through the valley and digging the wells, God brought them through it and to it. And now, ladies and gentleman, there’s no way I’m going to refrain from singing: “Hallelujah, You have won the victory. Hallelujah, You have won it all for me.” Because seriously, who is like our God?

1 comment: